Tuesday, July 4, 2023

A Big Pleat on the Back

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; 
true nobility is being superior to your former self.
~Ernest Hemingway

Quilting


Two weeks of guests with heat advisories daily. No rain; temps well over 101 F (38 C) but no fires. It meant everything we did was inside. Fortunately, the A/C only went out once. It finally rained Sunday and we are grateful the temperatures have dropped 10 degrees. Funny how the heat wave made mid-90s seem cool. 

Guests left yesterday so I returned to quilting. I’m still having major difficulties posting photos but that pales in comparison to the mess on the back. After quilting about ten diagonals, I noticed all this bunching on the back. Huge pleats. It's only happened once before and I'm not sure exactly what my mistake was this time. Obviously it was pleated as it was pinned; I’m just unsure exactly how that happened.


I'll be taking all these seams out. Perhaps I can save half of them. We'll see. This will take a while.

Reading

I read the novella Foster by Claire Keegan about a young Irish girl who goes to live with relatives for a year and found it thought-provoking.

Happy Fourth of July, America!

Enjoy the day and the fireworks, Ann

8 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh so sorry about those pleats on the back of your quilt--that is so frustrating--and then to have to remove all those stitches--not fun!!
We are in a dense fog bank here this morning and high humidity--yucky weather...it was even too hot for an after dinner stroll last evening...
I guess our treadmill will get a workout today...
hugs and Happy 4th of July,
Julierose

MissPat said...

Ugh on the weather and the quilting snafu. I think almost everyone has some kind of weather woe.
Pat

Robin said...

So sorry for all the unpicking you have ahead. Sitting for hours doing binding is one thing but unpicking is quite another.

patty a. said...

All that quilting for nothing. What a bummer. Hopefully the ripping out goes quickly and smoothly. I can't even imagine 101 temperatures. It's going to be 90 here today and I don't plan on being outside any more than necessary. I will probably have to get out and water the plants, but I won't do that until 6:30 p.m. when the temperature starts to drop.

deb oldenburg said...

Appliqué it down. The person who receives it won’t care or know. I have had this happen too. The quilt is great regardless.

Quiltdivajulie said...

AARRRRRGH. I had one quilt that developed a Godzilla pleat (back when my friend long armed my quilts). She took out as much as was needed, tacked down the excess, and then re-quilted the area. NO signs now of the problem. GOOD LUCK!!

Bluestocking said...

Gaah! Picking it out isn't nearly as much fun as sewing it up, I know *that* from experience. Wishing you a comfy chair, some cooler weather, and something relaxing to watch or listen to!

Kaja said...

How frustrating to do all that work and now have to rip it out. I hope the job goes by quickly. Your temperatures are really extreme!