Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Quilting Ocean Waves Again

Through (Fannie Lou Hamer’s) example, I learned to think less about what I don’t have and instead focus on what I do have and how it can be be of use in the service of others.
~Keisha Blain

Quilting


Since this is a large project I’m quilting on my home machine, my first step is to quilt the main diagonals… again. Done without tucks this time. Next I found straight lines the length and width of the OWs. Now I’m trying to fill in by ditch stitching all the remaining triangles because many of these pieces are older and I hate the thought of seams fraying. I really should be using free-motion but currently the walking foot is still working. {Those free-motion orange peels from point to point would have been much simpler and easier. Ah, well.} 



Reading

Dipo Faloyin’s book, Africa is Not a Country, is my current read. It’s a continent I’ll probably never be able visit so his insights were especially interesting. Starting in his home city of Lagos, Nigeria, he uses seven dictatorships as background for the complex struggle for self-rule, freedom, and democracy. Topics range from colonialism to white savior complex, and from soccer to jollof. His love and enthusiasm for the diverse people of Africa shines throughout. 

Enjoy the day,
Ann

5 comments:

Julierose said...

Your Ocean Waves is so lovely--tough to have to start over with the quilting part!! It will be so beautiful when finished though--so worth it.
Hugs, Julierose

patty a. said...

Good for you to keep plugging away at that quilt. I have my fingers crossed that it is smooth sailing ahead!

Mystic Quilter said...

Ann, I have missed so many posts over the past few weeks and so now a little behind on your progress with OW, such a lot of small pieces to deal with but I love the rich red with the multitude of HST's. You say it's a large project, what is size?

Nann said...

The ruby-red background lets the scrappy HSTs shine! (I keep thinking of a Homeric "wine-dark sea.") You've inspired me to start a version of OW. And thanks for the book recommendation.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

So glad you were able to sort out the earlier tuck situation. All your machine stitching securing things will be worth it, esp as you say, some portions are older fabrics. Do you have plans for quilting the center red squares?