Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Crossroads Baby Quilt

Attending to what we hate in common is too often all the rage (and it happens also to be very big business), noticing what we love in common, and studying that, might help us survive.
~Ross Gay

Quilting


Helping with Vacation Bible School gave me a very nasty summer cold. How did I forget all the germs little kids bring with them? Instead of quilting on Ocean Waves, I spent a week in bed with boxes of tissue and an assortment of medicines. Once over the cold, I still felt lethargic so decided to dig through my box of leftovers. And look what I found - more Crossroads blocks.

Crossroads quilt block

These were started in 2016 for a class with Sujata Shah which I had to miss due to a family emergency. Two years later I made more for a possible border {then changed my mind.}  Some were finally used on the Square Deal quilt. That is one of my favorite quilts - made of three sets of leftovers. I'd forgotten how many were left. There are almost enough to make two baby quilts although many have dark backgrounds. If I make two, I'll only need four more blocks. This seems to be a better project while it's so hot and I'm still worn out. 
 
The first layout doesn't work. There's a strong dark/light division down the middle. Remembering to use the camera saved me from this mistake.



After moving some blocks around, a better arrangement appeared. It's interesting how wildly different the widths of the roads are depending on what year I sewed them. Major highways and dirt roads. What can I say?

Crossroads baby quilt


The back is a lovely piece of pink on white hummingbirds that has been hanging around for years now. My sister gave me the pink fabric that widens it enough.



The binding is another remnant of a red and white print. It's always nice when stuff from my stash and leftovers combine so well.

Quilt Specifics
Size: 45" x 45"
Design: Crossroads
Batting: Mountain Mist cotton
Thread: Superior white cotton
Approximate yardage: 5.5 yards

As soon as the quilt was finished, I delivered it to a friend's new baby. Even when it's hot, a quilt is good to have on hand.

Enjoy the day, Ann

9 comments:

Julierose said...

Love that Crossroads quilt--it really came out so well... I like the different "road" sizes--adds a bit of whimsy to the repeating pattern;))) Nice work hugs, Julierose

patty a. said...

I am so sorry to read that you were so sick from that cold. It sure can take the wind out of your sails. Sounds like you are slowly on the mend. The Crossroads baby quilt turned out wonderful! That was great you were able to use up more of the leftover blocks and fabrics from your stash. I really like all the different sizes of roads and the fun variety of fabrics!

Nann said...

The Road Less-Traveled? Blocks are great. You balance contrasts/prints so well. Sorry about the summer cold but thank heavens it's not Covid!

Robin said...

So nice to find some leftovers to make a cute baby quilt. I'm sorry you got so sick. It's good to know you are feeling better.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Hooray for using up even more leftover blocks and what a delightful baby quilt you created!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Your 'crossroads' quilt made me smile this morning, a delightful way to use those leftovers! And yes, the different "road" sizes add to that handmade unique look.

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh goody, you made this happy baby quilt with the blocks we spoke about - was it last year???? I love that your roads are a mix of different widths, a real treat to see this quilt Ann.

Bluestocking said...

Another happy baby, I'm sure! That's a charming quilt, and the wonkiness could certainly be a metaphor for life ...

Preeti said...

Hope you are much improved by now. Highways and dirt roads, all put together, make an interesting quilt with loads to see. I love the improv vibe of the blocks!