Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Quilt Jacket Progress

A grandmother pretends she doesn't know who you are on Halloween.
~Erma Bombeck

Quilting

Many, many pieces have been moved but it seems to be working out now. The design centers horizontally on the back although I'm thinking about exactly where that piece will fall vertically. To the right is the right front. It's lining up to "semi-match" at the side seam. 


With the right front pieces sewed, I can decide where to position the pattern piece. That big notch near the top left is where the shawl collar attaches to the shoulder. In order to avoid quilt design seams at the buttonholes, the pattern may be moved a bit more. Then I'll know exactly where to place the back vertically. Then on to the left front and sleeves. 


A second placemat is finished. I've been sewing on them while waiting at airports. It's a bit too crowded to sew on board any plane these days. 

FUR (Fabric Use Rate)

Finishing two more placemats used 1.5 yards so my running total 48.75 yards this year.

Reading
Killers of the Flower Moon 
by David Grann

A staff writer for The New Yorker, David Grann researches forgotten events... and writes excellent books about them. One is Killers of the Flower Moon which I didn't think was "forgotten." Growing up in Oklahoma, I occasionally heard of the murders of many Osage to steal their oil wealth. And Jimmy Stewart starred in The FBI Story which surely covered the case. How much more could there be? It turned out to be quite a lot. By conniving to place Osage under guardianship because they were deemed incapable of managing their own money, the government set them up to be manipulated and robbed by upstanding {white} men in their community. Then the murders started. Conspiracies and coverups continued until the nascent FBI entered the scene. Even when some of the evildoers were convicted, they were given short sentences {at a time when most murder convictions meant a death sentence.} David knows how to research and it shows. Plus, he writes a gripping story whose lessons shouldn't be forgotten again. 

On a happier note, let's all pretend we don't know who those little trick-or-treaters are next week.

Enjoy the day, Ann

10 comments:

Robin said...

Great progress on the quilted jacket. I love shawl collars, they are flattering and comfortable.

Nann said...

Your revised colorway turned out nicely. The movie version of Killers of the Flower Moon was released this week. The Chicago Tribune reviewer gave it 3 stars. Are you going to see it?

Marie said...

Really love the colours that you've chosen. My head hurts with the thinking that you are doing to make this work!

Pamela said...

I love seeing this jacket progress!

Nancy said...

You've used such great colors for your quilted jacket! It will be beautiful!

Jo said...

I have always wanted to make a quilted jacket for myself. Maybe one day…

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Interesting following along with your progress, love the colours. Quilted jackets seem popular now again.

Mystic Quilter said...

This is going to be a beautiful jacket! Love your design and the colours work so well together, I'm a fan of turquoise so I like the background colour.

audrey said...

What wonderful colors you've picked out for the jacket this go around! I have never especially wanted a quilted jacket, though I admire them when I catch a glimpse. Is it more fun to make one for yourself than for others?

patty a. said...

I'm catching up from being on vacation thus the late comment. You have made a lot of progress on your jacket. I like the colors and the design.