Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Working on the Center of Bramble Blooms and Ocean Waves

God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December.
~J.M. Barrie

Quilting


The quote made me consider using roses in the centerpiece but my applique skills are rusty to say the least. Red circles are more my style... and ability. A pink center was much too soft/ill-defined; the black center is better. After rereading Audrey's post, I went back through my stash for stronger yellows. Here are three that might work. 



The one on top was too green. I thought the one on the lower right would work but it's still too light so I'll be making petals from the remaining yellow. 

The stems are a stripe that both Audrey and I purchased. I thought of it as binding but immediately noticed {and admired} when she used it in this quilt. My two-yard cut is a bit of overkill for stems only. We'll see where else it works.


On to leaves. The large olive green leaves match the darker strip but are making the bottom too dark. What about adding blue polka dot leaves, too. And why are my first leaves always wavy? This needs quite a bit more thought. 


I'm behind schedule quilting Ocean Waves and need to double down. Fortunately the quilting is now free motion and that usually goes faster.


Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. 

Enjoy the day, Ann

7 comments:

Julierose said...

Your Bramble blooms are so nice--great colors...I have pulled fabrics but am thinking of putting them back away--I just cannot think far enough ahead to work this way...i keep changing my mind..."chacun a son gout" I guess...
Hugs, Julierose

Robin said...

Fascinating center roses and your background choices add so much interest. My background is too matchy matchy but it will have to do for now. I love how this SAL is bringing out our individual personalities and preferences.

lmno said...

Ocean waves is such a striking patterns. The half square triangles sparkle against the red. Great choice.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Your BB is looking great, love the red & yellow combo.

Nann said...

I've always liked the Barrie quote. (I first read it when my mother was reading a paperback copy of Roses in December, a memoir by Frances Parkinson Keyes. And the memory was triggered years later when I toured Keyes' house in New Orleans.) Your Bramble Blooms flowers are a delight.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Your BB flowers are looking great, love the red & yellow combo.

Mystic Quilter said...

Only just made it to catchup Ann, your Bramble Blooms are exciting - I love the nice round shape and the three yellow pieces around the centre, lovely base fabrics also.