Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Ocean Waves IV

It's no trick to make a soup out of fish, but making a fish out of soup is a challenge.
~Czech saying

Quilting


This is a soup made from fish. I just threw a line into the depths of my leftovers and there were all the pieces. Not the most original or exciting but we both love the colors and design. We’ll keep this “fish” forever.
Ocean Waves IV

It took longer than expected this time. Restarting in the summer may have been reasonable but trying to quilt in the excessive heat was a mistake. So it was put away till fall. Because of health and family issues, I didn't work diligently. Even making a schedule didn't help much. But after New Year's there was finally time and determination to get busy again... plus, I'd already embroidered 2023 on the corner. Can't be a liar.

The foolish plan to SID all the triangles was part of the difficulty. This is too large a quilt to turn so much fabric (although I did it) but I couldn't think of any other choices. 

Next was the red centers. FMQ wreaths are alway a choice but my eyes don't let me see marks on dark fabrics. Instead I mixed spirals and circles. Pretty good and certainly easier than a wreath.

Free Motion waves spirals and circles 

By then I was tired and ready to be done so simple loops fill the outer border. They are very quick and easy.  



Finally, it was time to bind. I pulled two choices: a busy print on black and a stripe. I wanted to use the stripe (which works well with the back) but the print matches many of the triangles on the front much better (probably because so many of them are 10-15 years old.)

Quilt Specifics
Size: 103" x 92"
Design: Ocean Waves
Batting: Mountain Mist Cotton
Thread: Superior red and white cotton thread
Quilting: walking foot and free motion
Approximate yardage: 20 yds

Previous posts:

Belated Happy New Year. 

Enjoy the day, Ann

6 comments:

patty a. said...

The quilt turned out wonderful! That is a lot of triangles to sew together! I have never made an Ocean Waves quilt - all those triangles scare me!

Nann said...

Congratulations, Ann -- what a big, beautiful start to the year! (I've just gone back to re-read all the posts about it.) And thanks for the border quilting idea.

Julierose said...

Gosh Ann, this turned out beautifully--I know what you mean about seeing threads on darker fabric--not easy!! Nice work hugs, Julierose

Lisa in Port Hope said...

Gorgeous. Scrappy and a classic. Definitely something to cherish.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Beautiful! It's got a timeless look about it, certainly a 'keeper' for sure!

Mystic Quilter said...

Congratulations Ann, this is a tremendous quilt!! I just love the Czech saying you have at the start of your posts!!! Health and family issues play havoc with the quilting side of life, I know just what you mean, this is why my posting has been so erratic! Good for you to make it to the finish.