Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Trying to Finish Off the Ocean Wave Triangles

There are two ways to be fooled. 
One is to believe what isn't true. The other is to refuse to believe what is true.
~Soren Kirkengaard

Quilting


When will they end? There are still a bunch of Ocean Wave triangles: both individual and in sets of four.  I thought there were just enough for a five-block baby quilt but, no. Silly me. While I love the finished quilts, I'm sick of making the same pattern. 


Here's my plan to avoid counting and continual cutting of new triangles.  As I finish a "round", I'll move the outer half and quarter blocks out, add a new "round" and fill it with waves. As soon as there aren't enough to finish one more round, this quilt will be done. 


In the photo above, I've moved the outer blocks, added a new round of center squares and then filled the waves in around them. These are leftover triangles from all my previous Ocean Wave quilts, ignoring all colors and values. The Use Them Up philosophy.
 

There seems to be enough triangles for one or two more rounds. Perhaps one and a half. Then it would be a rectangle. 

Reading

Since I enjoyed Steven's previous book, The Guncle, tremendously, The Celebrants was on my list. It reminds me of The Big Chill although the friends meet for multiple "living funerals." The two Jordans (Jordan and Jordy), Marielly, Naomi, and Craig made a pact in college that each could call a meeting once - when they desperately need to be reminded that they matter and that their lives mean something. 

Steven writing highlights the joys of connection and friendship despite the unexpected twists of life. 

Enjoy the day, Ann

6 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

I totally understand being tired of all those HSTs but the resulting quilt tops are so darned awesome.

Julierose said...

This quilt top is just so gorgeous--use it up is certainly worth the while for these finishes!! ;))) hugs, Julierose

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

That is a lot of OW triangles! But so good to use them, it's all looking amazing!

patty a. said...

You must be really good at sewing those rounds together! The quilt so far is beautiful! The quilt police won't come if a few of those triangles get pitched.

audrey said...

Why are hst quilts so diffifult to get through? Totally worthwhile of course, especially in these lovely colors. I often think the smaller quilts are the most annoying because we expect them to move faster.:)

Mystic Quilter said...

I always love to see your Ocean Wave quilts, this one is another beauty and I love the little pops of red in amongst the waves!