Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Bramble Blooms II QAL

Habitually creative people are prepared to be lucky.
~E.B. White

Quilting


Remember all those months ago when we divided our fabric into three stacks? It's been a while since I looked at the others and I couldn't quite recall everything in them. Last time I was inspired by the white fabric with pastel circles on it. This time I'm driven to use this little bird print remnant from our darling sister who passed away almost a decada ago.  


There is so little that centering the design in each block isn't possible. Also, the shortest length is 5.25" so that will be the size of the squares.  I managed to cut seven squares and one is a bit funky. 

Audrey used X blocks for her center but there are loads of those on my outer border. I skipped four patches so that seems a better place for me to start. There's a shoebox of squares that have been aging on the shelf. I mixed some of those with some stash. Despite wanting to make 4 or 16-patches, these will have to be nine-patches. But there's no reason to make them match. Here they are set as "semi" four-patches.  And it's not working. 


Thinking it needed cooler colors, I tried again with blue and green squares but didn't like it much better. 


Finally, the penny dropped. It needed the darker colors to be O's instead of X's. I added an outer round with cream alternate blocks. 


Success. And fun. Of course, there's now a bunch of orange squares in that shoebox. Somehow it never empties. 

Reading

In Tokyo, an enigmatic librarian researches just the right books to resolve the problems of each patron. Plus she gifts each person with an hand-felted ornament that relates to their issues. Charming story and another look at modern Japanese society.

Enjoy the day, Ann

8 comments:

Juliann said...

Oh my! That bird fabric is beautiful and I love how you ended up with the lighter fabrics. Just found that book on my library site so I will check it out too.

patty a. said...

Thanks for showing each version. The result is a very sweet piece. I am assuming that you will be adding to this. I can see some appliqued flowers on one of the future borders ...

Quilting Babcia said...

It was so good to see how your design evolved. The final layout is so balanced, complementing the featured bird fabric without overwhelming them. Looking forward to seeing your next border.

Robin said...

Love the bird fabric. You came up with a lovely solution.

Nann said...

I came across those three fabrics for BB....in my abandoned project. You, on the other hand, are more diligent. The birds are charming and what a good challenge to use every last square inch. The cool colorway is perfect.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I enjoyed seeing your progress pics, and love where you ended up!

loraine everard said...

Wow, a great quick lesson in colour placement! What a difference between these 3 photos, the last one is perfect!

Mystic Quilter said...

Ann, your bird fabric was perfect for cutting into the squares, good decision to change the colour arrangement. The birds really stand out now.