Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Those Leftover Stars

Oh, for a book and a shady nook, either indoor or out.
~John Wilson

Quilting


We lost power during Hurricane Beryl for five days. After trying to keep some food in an igloo and on the counter, eventually I dumped it all. We still have canned goods and a few restaurants are open near us. We had water the whole time which helped a lot. Although I knew we’d lost power {and therefore air conditioning} I kept trying to turn on the fans. So silly.

Remember those leftover stars used in the corners of BB1? Now that they are resurrected from the depths of the closet, I wanted to use them up rather than reinterring them. I can't remember exactly why I made them but they were supposed to have wonky points. They still look good to me. 

Anyway, this baby quilt is pretty straightforward. The yellow centered stars are grouped in the center. Scattering them was another option. Didn't work as well and I forgot to take a photo. The posts are a lovely red print with large yellow flowers. Cutting a large scale print so small makes random color movement across the quilt. 


Now it needs a border. Digging through the stash brought up these possibilities. Neither works although the yellow print made the backing and binding. The light colored binding looks better than expected. I usually go with a dark binding as a final frame for the quilt. I'll have to try it again. 
 

So brown sashing and the red plaid border were purchased at the last store closing specifically for this quilt. {Oh, joy! Reducing the stash is finally working.} Of course, now I have leftover fabric from both of these new purchases. 
Red Wonky Stars baby quilt
Red and Yellow Wonky Stars baby quilt

I thought briefly about fancier quilting but went with the spiral. The echo quilting aspect shows well on busy patterns. It's also easier on my arms. 


The quilt is already gifted. And there's still a few more stars left. Let's see what they turn into. 

Quilt Specifics
Size: 41" x 41"
Design: Wonky Stars
Batting: Mountain Mist Cotton
Thread: Superior white cotton thread
Quilting: walking foot spiral
Approximate yardage: 3.75 yds

Reading

During this slow, hot summer I've been rereading a variety of books on my shelves. Helen MacInnes {adult spy novels} for one. The other is a teen/young adult series by Suzanne Collins that starts with Gregor the Overlander. She wrote this before The Hunger Games. It's such a favorite I've given copies to my oldest grandchild, too. When Gregor's baby sister falls through a grate in the laundry room he follows her into an entirely unknown world with inhabited by giant cockroaches, bats, spiders, and rats who are about to go to war.

Enjoy the day, Ann

7 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely baby quilt!! I really like those bits of yellow that are sprinkled across the quilt. Nice work using those stars...hugs, Julierose

Nann said...

Your leftovers are as delicious as the original meal, er, quilt was! The aftermath of Beryl has been worse than the storm.

patty a. said...

5 days without power sounds rough. I hope things are getting back to normal. The plaid border was a surprise and it works so well! The bits of yellow add a wonderful sparkle!

Sujata Shah said...

I am also doing the same.. looking into the deepest and darkest corners of my closet to find unfinished projects. I found my machine but not sure if it is going to put out as beautiful of the result as you did with your Stars baby quilt.

Mystic Quilter said...

So sorry to read of your troubles with the Hurricane! Wonky Stars is a winner.

Preeti said...

Bold and Bright, with a limited color palette and yet a touch of whimsy when the star center extends into the star leg. Love it!!!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love your use of (limited) colour & pattern with these blocks.