Saturday, May 27, 2017

Piecing a Back

Quilt backs are great places to use leftover fabrics. Quite a bit has been lurking in my stash. Today's the day to move it out. The trouble is, "I might need this someday." What I need right now, though, is room. So let's be ruthless.

Because I liked the medallion style back of my Polka Dot quilt, I started by pulling a couple of large rectangles for a center. Blue and brown.

There's less blue so it goes in the center. If the brown is cut lengthwise, it will almost frame two sides.

Laying out excess yardage for a back

Because it was getting pretty dark, I pulled some lighter blues. The two black and white strips are leftover from the Polka Dot quilt while the brown floral at the bottom is the last of the Thirty Year Sampler fabric.

Late in the day I snapped two quick photos to decide whether to leave the skinny light blue strip in or not. Colors are off but here's the comparison.

With or without?

In looks better to me because it balances the light blue at the bottom. So the next day I sewed the final two seams.

Back for Scrappy Mini Trip quilt

This step is done. Basting comes next. After a trip to Massachusetts to visit my grandson... and his parents. Hooray.

Enjoy the day, Ann

17 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Enjoy the grandson (and parents) -- I love pieced backs!

Anonymous said...

I'm working on a quilt back today and trying to use the extra fabric from the quilt top. The only problem is that I need one more piece and it's what I have in reserve for the binding. Yes, maybe time to look in my stash. Happy basting to you!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I do love a scrappy pieced back! And it's being thrifty too, win win!

Janie said...

Have a good trip!
I like a pieced back too, so many possibilities, a reversible quilt.
Two in one.

Ann said...

Thanks, Julie. I will!

Ann said...

I rarely have large pieces from the front. Looking through the stash keeps them moving. There's always something you've forgotten in some corner and backs are the perfect place to use them up.

Ann said...

I like the thriftiness. I don't know how I'd ever use all these pieces up if there weren't backs.

Ann said...

Thanks, Janie. I'm not sure how reversible this one will be. They are actually values from the front, just not the same fabrics or percentages. But I thought a guy might prefer blue and brown.

margaret said...

this has worked well. Have not tried piecing backs being lazy I tend to pick up duvet cover in the sales and use those

Mystic Quilter said...

I love pieced backs and yes, the blue strip looks good,. Have a happy trip visiting family!

Kaja said...

Can't beat a pieced back! Also now I find I'm viewing them as a way to use fabric I still like but don't realistically think will make it onto the front of a quilt.

Cathy said...

I love pieced backs but I hate piecing them. I need to follow your lead and get ruthless too. I'm not there yet.

I can't think of a better reason for a trip than a grandchild.

Ann said...

I've never tried duvet covers. Sounds much easier except I don't know how I'd get rid of all my leftovers.

Ann said...

Thanks, Maureen. I deliberately chose these colors to have a darker, quieter back then worry it's too quiet. We are having a blast.

Ann said...

That's what I try to use, too. In fact, most of them are left from some previous project. Not sure why I don't use them as the backs to the project they came from. And some are just older bits. It is fun to see what combinations I can create.

Ann said...

It's easier for me to make columns of fabric and sew those for the back. Kaja and others frequently have more complex piecing on the backs. As you wrote, "I'm not there yet." You make so many quilts, how do you not piece backs? Do you have loads of long yardage as well as blocks?
It's certainly a treat to visit the grandchild. Thanks.

patty a. said...

I like pieced backs and yours is great! Sometimes I don't want to take the time to do it - I always seem to be in a hurry!