Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Love Two

The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change, until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds.
~R. D. Laing

Quilting


The mockup should have helped... and it did in a way. The print/solid combinations are not what I might have chosen otherwise. But the final version is still a surprise. That L looks quite bold. White may be a mistake but I pushed on quilting it instead of setting it aside to marinate like Audrey wisely does. 

LOVE2 baby quilt

Many things stay the same through the "Word series". Spiral quilting; narrow border; similar size; all the various words we use with babies. {Oh, my. Word Series and World Series. Only funny to baseball fans. }


Here's a closeup of those two shot cottons. The pinky-red makes a good background for the white L and the purple border ties everything together. And I'm sure you noticed the backing is the very last {I promise} of the Kaffe fabric that is a skirt and the back of a previous baby quilt


The binding is more of the coral-with-arrows so now one of those two pieces is used up. That makes room for more wonderful things. It was hard at first to use my "best" fabrics but the more I do, the easier it becomes. There will be more fabric in stores and I feel free to purchase whatever interests me.

I'm unsure if I'll give this quilt away now or keep it to see what I can do about the white L. So frustrating. Any suggestions?

Quilt Specifics
Size: 46" x 46"
Design: Coin or String quilt
Batting: Hobbs Heirloom Premium Natural Cotton
Thread: YLI cotton thread in blue
Quilting: Spiral with walking foot
Approximate yardage: 5.5 yds

Previous post: Reprising Love

Reading

Bridge to the Sun relates the actions of Japanese Americans in World War II. Not the famed 442nd who fought in Europe, but the Nisei who worked as translators and interrogators in the Pacific theater. Their ability to read formal, informal, and casual Japanese script saved Allied lives. Many of these soldiers volunteered for combat, even more dangerous for them because of the risk of capture by the Japanese as well as the risk of being mistakenly shot by Allied troops. I'd heard of the Navaho code talkers but didn't realize the debt we also owe to Japanese Americans.

One section of the book covered an area where my father fought, something I've rarely read about and that he never discussed with me. 

Enjoy the day, Ann

8 comments:

patty a. said...

The white L doesn't look out of place in the phots, but I can imagine in person it contrasts strongly with the other colors. I don't think you need to fix it; anyone that receives the quilt will be thrilled with it. If you would overdye the entire quilt, who know what it would look like. I always look at baby quilts as free rein to experiment.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I say leave it low volume with colors. The quilt looks great.

Robin said...

I like the "L". No reason to fix something that's not broken in my eyes.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think the white L grabs your attention and makes you notice there are letters, and then oh, it's a word. On some of the quilts with the same value in all of the letters I didn't even notice there were letters until you mentioned it. I think it is a success. If it really bothers you a fine tip permanent marker could be used to draw dots or daisies in the white spaces of the print. That would darken it a little.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

After reading Wanda's comment, I too like that the L stands out to then entice you to search more. Very sweet, and I'm sure this quilt will be loved & used to bits!

Kaja said...

I think the high contrast will be pleasing to a young child's eye, and it seems, as Wanda says, like a nice way into the quilt. I like that you keep some elements of the word quilts the same across the series (and I got the joke!)

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your baby quilt is just beautiful as it is. Love it.

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh I'm pleased that I scrolled down to another post of yours to come across your new LOVE quilt, just beautiful, I do love the colours here.