Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Workshop Leftovers

I think of each life as a flower, as common as a field daisy, and as singular.
~Mary Oliver


Quilting


There were so  many leftover pieces from Jane Sassaman's workshop that I simply had to make a second top. This time I decided to sketch an idea that wouldn't be symmetrical. There was only one prepared fat quarter uncut so that was my background by default. The colors are off in the photos but it's peach.

I pulled all my leftovers out and looked them over. There weren't many mirror-images left but there were some large blobs. I decided to create a bouquet a coneflowers. Since there wasn't enough to make cutting mistakes, I first drew the main pieces on construction paper, cut them out, and played. Once they fit the space, it was time to cut from fabric. About half the paper has been replaced in the photo below.


One mirror image was cut in two, thinking it would make stem and leaf combination. The "leaves" just got in the way. Adding them separately worked better. 
 

There still seem to be just as much fabric leftover but no more background fabrics. Perhaps I'll make a third top some time. 

Reading

Emma Southon focuses on 21 "women of the Roman empire" and revises history by focusing on ordinary lives of people mostly considered unimportant by their society. She begins in 750 BCE with Tarpeia, who convinced her Sabine relatives not to slaughter the kidnapping Romans. Because, you know, blood is thicker than water and they were now all relatives through the newest offspring. 

Her stories continue through Galla Placidia in 414 CE, the daughter, wife {twice}, and mother of Roman emperors as well as the wife of Ataulf of the Visigoths and eventually a co-Augustus.

My favorite may have been Julia Felix, a successful businesswoman who left written records on the walls of Pompeii. 

The British title is The History of the Roman Empire in 21 Women.

Enjoy the day, Ann

5 comments:

Nann said...

The pattern you had for the workshop was so different from the one we had last weekend! I like the coneflowers -- good for you to start in on the leftovers! Thank you for the book recommendation.

Julierose said...

Very nice use of leftovers--love those curly cue fronds....hugs, Julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

Love the coneflowers, when I saw them my first thought was a Bramble Blooms center. The book recommendation looks interesting, on my list for the next library visit.

Marie said...

I'm liking those curly fronds too - such a fun design.

Mystic Quilter said...

Ann this top is stunning, I love the simplicity of the coneflowers, your curvy green leaves and what a great idea to add the dots!