Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Old Map, New Map

I've been thinking about maps and quilts for years. As a geologist I created maps and cross sections, working to illuminate topography, reservoir limits and potential hazards. My dad loved them, too. We'd collect USGS quadrangle maps for every vacation to locate hiking trails and points of interest. {Our vacations were always in to wilderness.} Then we'd visit AAA for road maps. He had us navigate along the route. These are the kinds of maps that most interest me.

I do have an old quilt that could be considered a map quilt {or a pictorial quilt} recording the many visits we made to my sister. Summer, spring and winter but rarely in the fall with so many school activities.

Tucking the kids in the car in their pjs early in the morning meant a good four hours head start. Regular stops. Then turning off the highway up a one lane asphalt road that quickly turned to dirt. Over the bridge, around the curve, and there we were. At last.

The Road to my Sister's House

This was one of the first quilts posted on my blog. Part map, part story, part memory, all the love I feel for my family.

My newest idea is piecing those skinny strips. Will they look like roads? I made my first very small practice one but I've been thinking about them for a while.

Angled parkway cutting city streets

Rather than black, I'm choosing white for streets. They need strong contrast with the land/houses. I'm good at lining up 90 degree intersections but need some more practice with the angled streets.


LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color wrote a salute to John McCain that I wholeheartedly support. America is less with the loss of this great man.

Enjoy the day, Ann

18 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

I don't know that you need practice with the angled streets. There are a lot of streets in rural areas that don't quite match up. I'm not sure why, but a lot of them require a turn or two to get back on the same road. I love your first quilt and I'm looking forward to seeing this one with land/houses!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I agree about the angled intersections being slightly offset - and not only in rural settings. There are many offsets here in the metro area. Liking the white roads - my sister and grew sleepy on many long car trips watching the white lines on the sides of the blacktop roads.

patty a. said...

There are a lot of off set streets where I live. It is enough to make to scratch you head and say what the heck was somebody thinking! LOL!! You piecing looks great. I think the key is not to get hung up on perfection.

LA Paylor said...

reminds me of DC streets. Thanks Ann as always for showing us something unique and for the link to my post. Your posts make me want to go sew

Helen L said...

I love your old map: it does feel like there are directions going in it. The light green triangles look like arrows. Your new "map" is going to look great: I love the look already! Hugs, H

Kaja said...

"part map, part memory, part story, all the love" - what more can we ask for in a quilt? I like the skinny strips.

Ann said...

Good point, Pamela, but I would like to figure out how to match them up better. Then I can choose which way they should look. That first quilt is so special to me because it represents so many happy times spent with family. Thanks for writing.

Ann said...

Oh, I hadn't thought about the white lines on roads. I may switch to other colors but white attracts me more right now. And yes, many intersections are offset but others are not. I want to be able to determine which I want and make it so. Ha.

Ann said...

I don't want to get hung up and probably will still have offsets but this was my third attempt to get it straight. So now I want to figure out what I did "wrong" and how to fix it. Good thing I'm making little samples while I work out some ideas.

Ann said...

Thanks for writing your post. It was brave and inspiring. Funny how we aren't supposed to notice injustice and inequality. Surely we are better than this. Surely we have passed the time of judging and condemning others.

Ann said...

What vision you have, Helen. I never noticed green triangles = arrows until you mentioned it. And I hope my new map works out, too.

Ann said...

Thanks, Kaja. I am the luckiest person in the world to belong to such a great family.
It's fun to figure out how to do skinny strips. I want to try them free hand, too. Lots to practice.

audrey said...

It's not unusual for country roads to be slightly offset at a junction--at least around here! So enjoyable to see your prior 'map' quilt and know that there is a lot of sentiment stitched into it!

Ann said...

Thanks, Audrey. I'd like the Co tract to offset roads when i choose rather than accidentally. Ha. But lots of time to practice. This Road quilt is one of my favorites.

Mystic Quilter said...

Must have missed this Ann - love the story behind the quilt and the colour you have in there.

Ann said...

Making a quilt with so much personal meaning was very special. It will always be a favorite. Thanks, Maureen.

KaHolly said...

Very interesting and brings back a lot of memories. We were travelers. My dad used to tell people that I could read a map before I could walk, which of course is silly, but it makes his point. I’m looking forward to watching this one grow!

Ann said...

Wasn't it fun to grow up in homes that encouraged us to learn? I bless my parents every day. They were the best!